Fire Extinguishers - What One Do I Use?
- Class A - for use with ordinary materials like cloth, wood, and paper
- Class B - for use with combustible and flammable liquids like grease, gasoline, oil, and oil-based paints
- Class C - for use with electrical equipment like appliances, tools, or other equipment that is plugged in
- Class D - for use with flammable metals
- Class K - for use with vegetable oil, animal oils, and fats in cooking appliances.
There are also multipurpose fire extinguishers that might be labeled "B-C" or "A-B-C." Most home improvement stores carry multipurpose fire extinguishers that cover Class A through Class C.
For additional information on fire extinguishers, visit Fire extinguisher information
Jacksonville Fire & Emergency Services provide education on how to use a fire extinguisher, provide a variety of presentations on Fire Life Safety Education, smoke detector installs, and home inspections (our Community Risk Reduction Specialist will walk through your home and provide guidance on fire life safety) just to name a few.
For more information, please call the Prevention Division at 910-455-8080.