Americans with Disabilities Act Position Statement
Title II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 protects qualified individuals with disabilities from discrimination on the basis of disability in services, programs, and activities provided by State and local government entities.
The City of Jacksonville is committed to treating all persons with dignity, respect, and fairness, and ensuring that our actions comply with local, state and federal laws. In this regard, we support and comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will not discriminate against qualified individuals on the basis of disability in our services, programs, or activities.
Employment: Employees are our most important resource. The City of Jacksonville will not discriminate on the basis of disability in our hiring or employment practices. The City fully supports and complies with all ADA regulations of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Communication: The City of Jacksonville is committed to providing all citizens with the opportunity to participate fully in the public process as well as in our programs, services, and activities. As we strive to be open, ensure access, and encourage involvement, the City will, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities.
Modifications to Policies and Procedures: The City of Jacksonville will make reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that persons with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy and participate in our programs, services, and activities. Persons requiring auxiliary aids or services for effective communication, or a modification to policies or procedures in order to participate in a City program, service, or activity should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator as soon as possible but no later than two business days before the scheduled event. Please note that more time might be needed to ensure that auxiliary aids or services are available or to research, recommend, and/or modify the related policies or procedures.
The City Manager is responsible for ADA compliance.
Please direct complaints about the accessibility of a City program, service, or activity, to the City of Jacksonville ADA Coordinator listed below:
Carmen K. Miracle, City Clerk
815 New Bridge Street
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone: (910) 938-5224
TDD: (910) 455-8782
Email Carmen Miracle
The City of Jacksonville has developed an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Title II states, in part, that “no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination: in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity”. Complaints should be addressed to: City Manager, P O Box 128, Jacksonville NC 28541-0128.
- A complaint should be filed in writing or verbally, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint should be filed within 60 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation. (Processing of allegations of discrimination, which occurred before this grievance procedure was in place, will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow a filing of complaint. The investigation shall be coordinated by the ADA coordinator. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA coordinator and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The ADA Coordinator shall maintain the files and records of the City of Jacksonville relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made in writing within 30 days to the ADA Compliance Committee, which shall be appointed by the City Manager. The decision of the Committee shall be final.
- The right of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards and to assure that the City of Jacksonville complies with the ADA and implementing regulations.