Intelligent Transportation System
The City of Jacksonville's Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) is one of the most advanced traffic management programs in North Carolina. ITS is a collaborative arrangement between the City of Jacksonville and North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) where NCDOT reimburses the City for traffic signal maintenance and operations throughout the Jacksonville area. The purpose of ITS is to ensure signal reliability through regular maintenance and efficient traffic flow through active monitoring.
- A Traffic Operations Center (TOC) located in the City’s Center for Public Safety is the control point for ITS. City staff within the TOC actively monitor traffic using cameras mounted at key intersections and make real-time adjustments to optimize flow.
- The TOC is manned Monday through Friday; however, City staff can access the center at any time through remote connectivity.
- The system is capable of other functions including diagnosing and reporting equipment failures as well as displaying messages on digital signs to notify drivers of travel conditions.
- 92 traffic signals, 55 traffic monitoring cameras and 10 digital message signs
- 40 miles of fiber optic cable communicate with signals, cameras and signs
- Traffic signal preemption devices that are used by the City's Fire Department and County Emergency Medical Services to turn signals green in their path when responding to emergency calls.
Report an Issue
To report a traffic signal emergency, signal timing issue, or other traffic signal issue within the City of Jacksonville, please call 910 938-5070 or send an email.
To report a traffic signal issue in other areas of Onslow County, call the Department of Transportation, NCDOT Traffic Services line at 910 341-0300.