Business - Beer & Wine Licenses
The City of Jacksonville will issue only beer & wine, taxi, and peddler permits. Per state law, all other privilege license taxes have been repealed.
Beer & Wine License Quick FAQs
- Businesses must comply with the City Municipal Code.
- A separate license is required for each individual business.
- If you have a state license, you also need to obtain a City License in Jacksonville
- License Specialists are available for assistance Mon - Fri, 8AM-5PM, 910 938-5248
- The Beer & Wine License Form (see Application Forms below) is available online and at City Hall, 815 New Bridge Street
Do I Need a License?
Yes - If you intend to sell beer and wine in the City of Jacksonville, you need to obtain a License. Beer & Wine License forms are available online or at City Hall, 815 New Bridge Street, Jacksonville.
What is the cost & when do I need to renew?
Costs vary depending on the type of beer and wine license required. The current fee schedule is available online. Questions? Call 910 938-5248
A Beer & Wine License in the City of Jacksonville valid for one year. Renewal notices are mailed approximately 30 days prior to expiration. Beer and wine licenses are issued May 1 - April 30 annually. Please note that if you change location or close business you must immediately notify the City at 910 938-5248. Failure to do so within 30 days may result in the loss of your license.
Important information needed to complete the Beer & Wine License Form
- Contact Information - Name, Phone Address, Business Owner Name, other
- Name of Business (Register your business name with Onslow County Register of Deeds. Corporations must register with the Secretary of State’s Corporations Division. (Contact info on back)
- Federal Employer ID# Owner SSN may also be required. Businesses with employees are required to have a Federal Employer Identification number (SS-4 form) along with a North Carolina withholding tax number from the NC Business License Information Office. (Contact info on back)
- Planning & Zoning Approval Date
- Tax ID # - Are you selling goods? You will need a Sales & Use Tax # (AS/RP1 form)
- Business type & location- Street address of business and type of business details
- Additional Information may be required
Penalties - It shall be unlawful for any person or his agent or servant to engage in or carry on a business in the City for which there is required a license, without first having paid the license tax and obtained the license. Opening of a place of business, or offering to sell, followed by a single sale or the doing of any act or thing in furtherance of the business shall be construed to be engaging in or carrying on such business; and each day that such person shall be construed to be a separate offense. A 5% late penalty is assessed after 30 days and increases an additional 5% for each additional month.
Application Forms & Additional Information:
- IRS - Business Tax Kit - (800) 829-1040
- Tax ID
- OSHA - (919) 733-2486
- Franchise Association - (202) 628-8000
- US Small Business Admin - (704) 344-6563
- Agricultural Extension Office - 910 455-5873, Email Agricultural Extension Office
- Chamber of Commerce - 910 347-3141
- Health Department - Food & Lodging Inspection - 910 938-5851
- Register of Deeds-Filing Name - 910 347-3451
- Small Business Center - CCCC 910 938-6322
- Tax Office, 39 Tallman Street - 910 989-2202
- Alcohol Beverage Control - 919 779-0700
- Business License Information Office - 800 228-8443
- Department of Labor - 910 733-7166
- Department of Revenue - 910 455-9448
- Employment Security Commission - 910 347-2121
- Small Business & Technology Development Center - 800 2580-UNC
- Business Servicenter - 800 228-8443
- Secretary of State Office, Incorporation - 800 228-8443, 919 807-2166