Police Clerk & Telecommunicator Application
Police Records Clerk & Telecommunicator Applicant Information
Applicants for Police Records Clerk and Telecommunicator position are required, as part of the application process, to complete and submit not only an on-line application, but also F-3 (Personal History Form), Authorization for Release of Personal Information and Selective Service forms. Failure to complete all four of these forms will disqualify you from being considered for vacancies in these positions. (Note: Please see current job vacancies listed in the Current Employment Opportunities page to complete an online application.)
Blank Authorization for Release of Personal Information and Selective Service forms may be printed using the links found at the bottom of the Police Department Applicant Information page. If you do not have access to a printer, blank copies of these forms may be obtained from the Human Resources Department located in Jacksonville City Hall.
Complete the F-3 form online. This should bring you to the FMRT Group F-3 page. Once there, click on the "To continue and complete an F-3 on line, click 'here'" option. On the next page, select "Police F-3." On the next page, enter the last four digits of your social security number and then select the appropriate box to "continue" or "come back later." Your completed F-3 package will be stored with the FMRT Group. While on the FMRT site, you may be informed that for $19.95 you may store your completed F-3. This is for your purposes only. Once you have completed the F-3, it will automatically be stored with the FMRT Group. However, you will no longer have access to it.
You will need to print off one copy of your completed F-3, have your signature notarized and bring the completed package to the Human Resources Department in City Hall. You will also need to bring the completed Authorization for Release of Personal Information and the Selective Service forms with you as well. The Authorization for Release of Personal Information also requires a notarized signature. A notary is available at City Hall if you are unable to locate one.
Copies of the following documents will also be needed to accompany your application: Birth Certificate; High School Diploma or G.E.D.; college transcripts or diplomas/training; driver's license; social security card; Selective Service Registration Card if subject to draft; and DD214 if prior military. Copies only of these documents will be needed at this time. You may mail or bring copies of these documents to the Human Resources Department located in City Hall, 815 New Bridge Street, Jacksonville, NC 28540. Hours of operation for City Hall Departments are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. If you are called for interview you must bring the originals of these documents to present to your assigned background investigator. Failure to do so will delay processing.
Part of the application process for positions with the Jacksonville Police Department includes skills testing. Testing is conducted by the City of Jacksonville Human Resources Department online and the length will vary depending on the position applied. You may be contacted regarding online testing via a notification from NEOGOV, be sure to update your spam filter. Test results are automatically updated in your application and you will be notified if you are going to be moving forward in the process. Length of application process will vary based on the number of applicants, the number of vacancies and the needs of the department, but will normally last from three to six weeks.
Applicants who fail to successfully complete the Police Department application process are eligible to re-apply after 12 months from the date of their previous application.
Any persons needing physical assistance or special accommodations in order to facilitate this testing requirement should contact the Human Resources Department at (910) 938-5386.
The following information applies specifically to applicants for positions as Police Records Clerk and Telecommunicator only.
- Online Application - This application is available at the Current Open Positions page. After the application is reviewed by the City of Jacksonville Human Resources Department, qualified applicants will be forwarded to the Jacksonville Police Department Standards Division. Applicants will also be required to submit the North Carolina Personal History Statement form (F-3) to the City of Jacksonville Human Resources Department.
- Human Resources Testing - After review of the application the Human Resources Department will schedule the applicant for testing. For Police Records Clerk applicants, this will include testing on Records Clerks skills, Customer Service, Record Locating, Numeric Filing, Spelling, and a typing test. For telecommunicator applicants, this will include a series of CritiCall 911 testing which includes Typing, Data Entry, Data Entry (Audio), Call Summarization, Cross Referencing (Audio), Memory Recall (Audio), Memory Recall-Numeric (Audio) and Prioritization.
- Oral Interview - The oral interview is a more formal, in-depth question and answer session conducted by a select panel of department personnel and Human Resources. Interviews will be scheduled based upon the needs of the agency and the overall qualifications of the applicant.
- Background Investigation - Applicants who have successfully completed steps 1 through 3 will be entered into a pool of applicants who are eligible for background investigation. If you are selected, the detective who is assigned to your application packet will call you at the beginning of the investigation in order to schedule the applicant for a background investigation interview. Applicants will be required to be fingerprinted and photographed.
- Command Staff Interview - Applicants who successfully complete steps 1 through 4 will appear before an interview with the deputy chief's of the agency. The interview will consist of further in depth questions to determine the applicant's suitability for employment with the Jacksonville Police Department.
- Psychological Exam, Medical Exam, and Drug Screening (Psychological and Medical Exam applies to Telecommunicator applicants only) - Those telecommunicator applicants who are given a conditional offer of employment following steps 1 - 5 must successfully complete a psychological exam, medical exam and drug screen. Those police records clerk applicants who are given a conditional offer of employment following steps 1 through 5 must successfully complete a drug screen. These exams are scheduled and paid for by the Police Department.
- Final Applicant Review Interview - This is a formal interview with the chief of police or his designee in which the applicant will receive a final evaluation to determine their suitability for the position.